Monday, January 1, 2018

Words for Berlin

This day last year, New Year's Day, was not my favourite, for multiple reasons. Although I knew the hazy dullness I felt surrounding me was just temporary, I still felt undeniably stagnant in my life. Rather than wallow in pity and feed whatever was already desperately trying to pull me down, I decided to make the most of the opportunities afforded to us on the first day of the year and make a New Year's resolution that I would happily stick to. I promised myself I would go on a trip away from home at least once a month in 2017, satisfying my wanderlust and giving my mind and body the chance to breath and rejuvenate more frequently.

I ended my year of travels with one of my favourite people in one of my favourite countries, in a city that was new to both of us. Berlin enveloped us in a festive welcome from the moment our plane touched German soil. Though the city was cold, and my body may have suffered the consequences, we were warmed by adventure and plenty of glühwein. 

We roamed the streets, getting lost so that we could learn the city and find our way. Journeying from museums and cathedrals to hidden night clubs shown to us by locals. We marvelled at the many juxtapositions of Berlin until our fingers were numb and our lips blue. A city drenched in history, where our minds found as much fulfilment as our appetites did in Germanic delicacies. 

Berlin gave me the chance to share a country I feel at home in, with one of my best friends while also discovering somewhere that felt completely different and novel. For that, I am infinitely grateful. 
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. I love all of these photos. I hope you have a wonderful new year.
    http://sugarcoatedbears.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Happy new year to you too ✨

      Delete
  2. That is so cool you got to travel so much, I would love to go to Berlin
    Happy New Year
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a wonderful city! Happy new year to you too ✨

      Delete
  3. Berlin is such a wonderful city! You're right about the juxtapositions, I loved how street art combined with gorgeous architecture!

    Milly
    mini-adventures.com

    ReplyDelete

© Blushing Shadows. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig